Any fitness guru or even a casual worker-outer has them. Those tiny insignificant things or insanely awkward tendencies you witness while at the gym that drive you mental. Thus I present my top 10 gym pet peeves (which will probably expound into a sequel in no time). Feel free to leave your gym pet peeves as well!
10. People who sport matchy-matchy gym outfits. I get that fashion is everywhere these days, there are some really cute gym clothes out there and that American society is unfortunately horrendously judgemental but is it really necessary to put that much time & effort into your gym attire? All you are going to do is sweat through it and not be taken seriously by half the other patrons at the gym.
9. Those women who insist on changing RIGHT next to the door of the locker room. So much so that when I round the corner to enter the locker room, BAM, I am faced with a half naked woman, which is not how I care to begin my exercise regime. I will stop there.
8. People who spend 3 minutes filling up their water bottles at the water fountain without paying any mind to the line of thirsty folks behind them. Fill your water bottle up all you want, but at least let people grab a sip before you consume 3 minutes in front of the fountain!
7. People who work out and don't sweat. This is purely an element of jealousy because I sweat like a pregnant pig. (I'm not sure if pregnant pigs sweat in abnormal amounts, but let's just pretend)
6. People who sing or shout at themselves out loud mid-work out. While this can be extremely comical and borderline entertaining at times, I just have to wonder what on earth they are thinking. Occasionally I will end up next to a man on the eliptical who will truly shout at himself during his workout and will then spontaneously bust into a few verses of a song out loud. I totally missed the memo about karaoke hour at the gym!
5. Girls who carry their designer bags with them around the gym. First, do you really need to bring your hand bag into the gym? Secondly, there are lockers for them. Lastly, again you will not be taken seriously as someone who is at the gym to actually exercise, but rather someone who is looking to draw attention to themselves. Ex. there is a girl at my gym who carries her large Longchamp bag with her around to every machine and slings it over her shoulders as she's walking to the next one. Just flat out don't get it and I'm sorry, but it bothers me!
4. People who don't wipe down their equipment (with the conveniently PROVIDED towels and sanitizer!) after they get off a machine . Nuff said.
3. People who leave their stuff (towel, keys, water bottle) on a machine to "claim" it, when they have no intention of using said machine for 15-20 minutes. Unless you own the gym, are getting sick in the bathroom, or have passed out from exhaustion, I'm pretty sure that's not kosher.
2. Men AND women that feel it is appropriate to produce unlimited flatulence during work-outs because they are in a public place and no one will be able to identify them as the guilty one. Guess what, it's pretty easy to figure out and anyone next to you knows you're the culprit! Plus our already exhausted lungs really don't appreciate that shock when inhaled.
1. People who talk on their phones and/or text while working out. Can you honestly not part with your phone for that long? Again I use Longchamp girl as an example because while she is "working out" at every machine, she is texting and emailing on her iPhone. I assure you she's not just using it for music because she wears no earphones. How can you possibly have an effective and productive workout while you are talking and texting? I suppose I have a different idea of workouts than some but gollee does that one bother me!
I was having this EXACT thought process yesterday after my gym visit! You already named one of my top peeves (the phone), but I also have
ReplyDelete- People who wear the bare minimum clothing while working out. For example women in short spandex shorts and sports bra only. Men in spandex shorts and those tank tops that you wonder why they even bother wearing a shirt. You're in public, put some clothes on, I don't care that you have a 16 pack.
- Those who barely move while doing cardio, like going 2mph on the treadmill. I walk faster to and from my car carrying 15 bags of groceries. Either step it up or step it out and let somebody else use the machine.
(I could go on, but I'll stop)
Ahhh haha. Love it Kelly!! Just made my night and touché to all of your additions!
ReplyDeleteCould not agree more with your 10 and Kelly's additions!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI have to add that I hate when people come talk to you while your in the middle of a hard cardio session. Hello I'm breathing hard, don't have time to talk about the weather. Catch me in the line for the water fountain as we wait for the person to fill up their water bottle!
ReplyDelete