My matchmaker operates on a basis of 3 on 3 dates. She organizes three guys and three girls that do a wine & cheese pairing for two hours. Great idea. A one on one date exudes pressure, expectations and formality. A 3 on 3 date exudes options, confidence and dynamic. (and praying that the other two girls are less appealing than yourself). So tonight was my first 3 on 3 date. I only signed up for one because I'm not about to drop that much dough to have a woman set me up on dates for the next 6 months. Pretty much I have a nice chunk of loot lying on these three guys tonight, so they better deliver! I am honestly excited and enthused about how this will turn out.
Sadly, I quickly realized I had quite possilbly wasted more than just a few cents. There were two John's and an Alex. I'd just like to say that I genuinely appreciate the fact two of them were named John because I'm notoriously bad with names. John #1 was cute and nice but pretty lackluster. If I told him he had just won the lottery and was an instant trillionaire, I think his voice would have sounded the same as if I had told him his grandmother had just died. Those kinds of men are the most frustrating - you're nice and seem to have it together, but come on..have some emotion, some passion and some JOY in your life.
Alex was interesting. Nice guy, successful, funny....until he started interrupting and name dropping. Instant file into the "not a chance" bin. The fact that you are from Charleston is in fact admirable since there are so few. But I'm not impressed by who your neighbors were growing up, what street you lived on or the fact that every time I open my mouth, you pretend that you're hard of hearing and start talking over me.
John #2 was the most interesting. I wrote him off within the first 5 minutes because I introduced myself and asked him what he did for a living and he COMPLETELY ignored me to talk to one of the other girls. Right, well you just made your own bed. Naturally as life would have it, we actually ended up having probably the most real conversation that I had all night. Then he asked me "what do you eat for lunch?" and "how often do you work out and what do you do for exercise?". When I told him that I usually have Special K for brekky and occasionally throw in a box of Frosted Flakes when I'm feeling risque, his facial expression determined his fate. He's a triathlete you see, which is great. I love triathlons. I really want to do another one. I love athletes and I love the dedication and determination an athlete possesses. But, when all you can talk about is what time you are waking up to work out, what you cannot eat when you're out with friends & you turn down wine at a WINE TASTING DATE EVENT because you are too fit to drink it.....sorry, not gonna work out. I love my body. I love working out and I love eating just as much. My rolls and my muscles are a joint package. You can't have one without the other!
![]() |
| I swear it's low sodium soy sauce, John #2!!!! |
I now sit on my couch eating gluten free sweet potato chips (no thanks to John #2 who would likely criticize everything I put in my mouth) and low fat pork & veggie wontons that in turn resulted in me spilling soy sauce all over my hot pink Lilly Pulitzer skirt. Oh yeah....John #2 told me he really loved my dress. I am wearing a hot pink skirt and a black tank top. Not even a colorblind man could mistake it for a dress. But I appreciate the compliment and gesture....really, I do!
The best part of this is that I'm truly not upset or depressed by these turn of events. I find them fascinating and hilarious, which is the only reason I publicly share the details. Life is meant to be enjoyed and I've always said laughing at ones self is one of the most satisfying qualities a person can have! That being said, I don't think I'll be dropping cash on a professional matchmaker anymore. Might have to venture back to Match in a few months, which will surely result in additional good stories!

I just wanted to let you know that the dick John#2 has posted this on his facebook page with a very mean reply about you. Incase you recevie any random negative post. His a ass and you sound like a great and wonderful lady after reading over your blog. I just wanted you to know I feel for you and his going to get what's coming for him. Krama a bitch!
ReplyDeleteHah, wow. Well, it's good to see where his maturity level lies. Thanks for the info. I don't even know what his last name is let alone what his Facebook page is like. I do greatly appreciate the record 200+ hits my blog got today though! I'm confident in the person I am and I apologize if his feelings were hurt, but dont apoligize for what i wrote because it was an honest depiction of my experience.
ReplyDelete